There are lots of ways to experience the Edison Ford site and the sky is the limit on creative ideas. Some of the options include:
- Guided Tours – led by enthusiastic site historians, include the Edison home and guest house, the Ford Estate, the Caretaker’s house, the Edison Botanic Research Lab and the gardens. Arrangements for German, Spanish and French tour guides can also be made. Approximate time 1 1/2 hours.
- Tour and Cruise Package – a great half-day experience. The private pontoon boat can seat 50 passengers for a cruise up the river with opportunities to see dolphin, manatees and birding islands. Approximate time is 3+ hours.
- Inside-the-Homes Tour – led by curators, takes visitors inside the homes of Edison and Ford for a private tour in areas not regularly open to visitors. See the furnishings and decorations up close and walk in rooms where Edison and Ford once stood. Approximate time is 2 hours. Inside-the-Lab Tour – led by curators, visitors will tour the Botanical Laboratory where Edison, Ford, and Firestone once worked. Approximate time 1 1/2 hours.
- Lab and Museum Tour – a self-guided tour through the museum, which has an impressive collection of inventions, artifacts, special exhibitions, and archives. Visitors will also tour Edison’s Botanical Laboratory, a National Chemical Landmark. This tour does not include an audio device.
Approximate time is 1 1/2 hours.
- Guided Garden Tours – Edison Ford horticulturists walk groups through the historic gardens of the estates, and a behind-the-scenes tour of the Edison Ford Propagating Nursery with time to purchase heritage plants from the Edison Ford Garden Shoppe. Approximate time is 1 1/2 hours.
Self-Guided Tours – includes a historian orientation and then stroll at your own pace. Audio wands and maps are available in English, French, Spanish and German. Maps are also available in Chinese.
- Young Inventors Tour – offers families, teachers and students a fun educational experience with hands-on activities based on the inventions of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. Approximate time is 1 1/2 hours.
For reservations call 239-334-7419.