For many years, Fort Myers was somewhat isolated from its neighbors. In the 19th century, travel by boat was quite common. The train did not connect to the city until 1904, and it was not until 1924 that a wooden bridge first crossed the Caloosahatchee River into Fort Myers, allowing visitors from the north convenient access. Meanwhile, in 1916, work had begun to continue roadwork to the east, connecting Tampa with Miami. The project became known as the “Tamiami Trail.”
Twelve years, $8 million dollars, and almost three million sticks of dynamite later, the road-building project was completed. Thomas & Mina Edison used the newly constructed roadway to visit their friends, the Firestones, at their winter home in Miami Beach. Increased traffic rendered the existing wooden bridge obsolete and prompted construction of the Edison Bridge in 1928.